* The Mi-17V-5 helicopters so reliable that they are used to transport VIPs like the President and the Prime Minister. These helicopters became part of the Indian Air Force between 2013 and 2018.
* It is the latest twin-engine version of the Russian Mi-17 transport helicopter. The Mi-17V-5 chopper is designed to carry personnel, equipment and cargo. It has an outside sling to carry hanging cargo on the outside.
* The Mi-17V-5 helicopter is mostly used for tactical air drops, destroying targets on the ground and transportation of the injured. The helicopter is capable of operating in any most geographical and climatic conditions. It is used for high-altitude operations in India.
* This helicopter can fly in hot and desert conditions. It has high accuracy in target approach as it uses satellite navigation system.
* It has a maximum take-off weight of 13,000kg. It can transport either 36 armed soldiers inside or it can carry 4,500kg of load on a sling.
* The Mi-17V-5 helicopter has a maximum speed of 250km/h, and a standard range of 580km. It can be extended to 1,065 km when fitted with two auxiliary fuel tanks. It can fly at a maximum altitude of 6,000 m.
* This helicopter is equipped with a heavily armoured cockpit. It has a self-defence system against heat-seeking missiles. It can carry several arms including unguided rockets, cannons, and small arms.