At least five houses were gutted and properties worth lakhs lost after fire broke out during ‘Diwali’ celebration in Kapilpalli village in Ganjam district last night.
As per the report, hundreds of people had gathered to take part in the ‘Bada Badua Daka’ ritual or ‘burning of bundles of jute sticks’ as a to invoke their forefathers when the mishap took place.
It is suspected that due to negligence of somebody fire from a lighted jute stick spread to a house and later started jumping from other houses in the neighbourhood.
Residents called up Belaguntha Fire Brigade team immediately after the incident for assistance but till they reached and doused the flames furniture, electronic goods and other valuable items had been completely reduced to ashes.
While police have reached the spot and lodged a case in connection with the incident, locals have demanded assistance from the district administration for those who were rendered homeless in the mishap.