Berhampur, June 7: An elephant died due to electrocution after coming in contact with live wire in Odisha’s Ganjam district on Monday.
The incident took place at a cashew orchard near Dhaupalli village under North Ghumsur forest division in the district when a herd of eight elephants was reportedly passing in the area in search of food.
Locals said that the jumbo came in contact with an 11 KV power transmission line which was hanging at a low height above the orchard field and died.
On being informed, Forest department officials reached the spot and started an investigation into the matter.
“The exact cause of the death of the elephant will be ascertained after the autopsy. Further investigation is underway,” a Forest official said.