Bhubaneswar, Jun 9: Taking into account the IMD’s forecast of extremely heavy rainfall to occur in different districts of Odisha from June 10 to 14, SRC PK Jena on Wednesday asked District Collectors and Commissioners of five municipal corporations to set up round-the-clock control rooms and take all measures to prevent any damage to life and property.
Precautionary measures suggested by the SRC include:
1. The Control Rooms of all the offices dealing with flood/ disaster management must operate round the clock with adequate manpower. It must be under charge of a responsible officer on 24×7 basis.
2. The field level functionaries to be in readiness to meet any eventuality including possibility of landslides in hilly areas. District administrations of land slide prone districts are to take special precautionary measures to prevent damage and to make arrangement for evacuating people from vulnerable areas, if required.
3. All cyclone and flood shelters should be kept in readiness in all respect to evacuate people from in kutcha houses/hut and low-lying areas.
4. The engineers in charge may keep close watch over the embankments especially weak/vulnerable points in rivers/ canals.
5. Flood fighting materials may be kept ready at strategic places and immediate action may be taken to prevent any breach or to close the breach, damage of roads, if any.