The farmer, identified as Ramakrushna Panda, was rushed to the District Headquarter Hospital here in a critical condition.
As per reports, Panda consumed poison outside the paddy procurement centre in Bandhagaon Gram Panchyat of Bhadrak block in the district after the concerned authorities allegedly denied to procure his paddy even though he had a token to sell his paddy.
Sources said, a women Self-help group (SHG) namely, Baba Rameswar SHG, was directed to procure the paddy from the farmers of Bandhagaon Gram Panchyat by the district administration.
However, the SHG didn’t procure the paddy for unknown reason and paddy sacks of local farmers have been lying unsold near the paddy procurement centre.
Meanwhile, local police reached the spot and started a probe into the matter.