Nayagarh, Apr 26: Four persons received burn injuries, more than two dozens of goats were charred to death as a major fire engulfed many houses at Benthapur village under Odagaon block in Nayagarh district on Monday afternoon.
Furniture and household articles worth lakhs of rupees were also destroyed in the fire mishap.
Though the exact reason behind the spread of the blaze was yet to be ascertained, it is suspended that am electric short circuit might have led to the spread of fire.
The four injured persons are now undergoing treatment and the Odagaon Community Health Centre.
The fire spread so fast that 25 houses were burnt within a hour. On being informed, fire service personnel rushed in and doused the fire.
Members of 20 families have been forced to spend days under the open sky.
They and other villagers have demanded that they be provided polthyne sheets and relief material instantly and houses and other supports at the earliest.