Khordha, Feb 26: Properties worth lakhs of rupees were burnt to ashes as a major fire engulfed many shops along the New Bus Stand Main Road here on Friday afternoon.
On being informed by locals, three fire service vehicles rushed to the spot and doused the fire after an hour’s attempt.
While the exact reason behind the mishap was yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that an electric short circuit might have led to outbreak of the blaze, which spread very fast, according to eyewitnesses.
Dress stores, fruits shops, vegetable counters, grocery shops and furniture outlets were gutted in the fire. The Fire officers have started an investigation to know the exact reason behind the mishap.