At least five persons sustained severe burn injuries and two of them were critical due to the fire mishap.
The injured persons were rushed to the District Headquarters Hospital here. After primary treatment, two critically injured persons were shifted to the SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack as their condition deteriorated.
As per reports, at least eight houses of four families reduced to ashes after a massive fire broke out at Imambada ward under Kendrapada Town police station limits at around 4 am today due to a suspected short circuit.
The fire broke out in Fakir Khan’s house due to a suspected short circuit and it engulfed other houses belonging to Basir Khan, Babu Khan and Sakir Khan respectively.
On being informed, the fire tenders reached the spot and doused the flame. By that time, eight houses were gutted in the fire.
Valuables worth lakhs of rupees have been destroyed in the mishap.
Meanwhile, Town police reached the spot and initiated a probe into the matter.