In the first incident, sparks erupted at one Bikartan Mahalik’s house in Khirakoni area under Ward No-19 of Soro Municipality last night and spread to five rooms. Till his family members swung into action and launched firefighting efforts, his wife Laxmi and 10-year-old grandson had sustained burn injuries which are severe in nature.
While the family called up Soro Fire Brigade office for assistance it failed to respond for being engaged in another operation in the area. Finding no other option available the villagers tried to contain the flames by sprinkling water lifted from the village pond.
Later, fire tenders from Bahanaga reached the spot for firefighting.
In a similar incident, fire broke out at one Bijay Dalei’s house in Kudei village in the same night. Rs 12,000 in cash along with furniture worth lakhs were lost in the blaze before local fire brigade teams contained it.