New Delhi, Dec 23: Union Minister of Sports & Youth Affairs Kiren Rijiju has virtually inaugurated 8 Khelo India State Centres of Excellence across India in the presence of State Sports Ministers.
The 8 States include Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Kerala, Telangana, Nagaland, Karnataka and Odisha.
The Sports Ministry had identified sports facilities in these 8 states to be upgraded to the Khelo India State Centre of Excellence (KISCE). The centres identified are:
1. Nagaland- State Sports Academy, IG Stadium Kohima
2. Manipur - Khuman Lampak Sports Complex, Imphal
3. Arunachal Pradesh - Sangey Lhaden Sports Academy, Chimpu Itanagar
4. Mizoram - Rajiv Gandhi Stadium, Aizawl
5. Odisha - Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneshwar
6. Telangana - Regional Sports School Hakimpet
7. Karnataka - Sh. Jayaprakash Narayan National Youth Centre Bangalore
8. Kerala - GV Raja Sr. Sec. Sports School Thiruvananthapuram
Speaking on the occasion on Tuesday, Rijiju said, this is a very important day for sports in India and it is a very important beginning to develop sports culture and excellence in the country. The youth in India is looking for initiatives from the Government of India and the State Governments.
The Union Minister said, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said sports has to be a way of life for every Indian and the Government of India wants to create basic facilities for everyone.
He reiterated the vision is to see India in top 10 in the Los Angeles Olympics 2028.
The Khelo India State Centres of Excellence are being started in addition to the National Centres of Excellence.