The houses belonged to Bhagaban Nayak, Sitaram Nayak and Balaram Nayak of Nayak Sahi in Ward 1 of the Kishmat Krushnapur GP.
According to information, Bhagaban’s wife was boiling milk when an inflammable substance caught fire. The blaze soon caught the thatched rooftop. While, she tried to run out of the house, a piece of burnt material fell on her for which she received burn injuries.
By the time fire personnel from Basudebpur came from to the village, the fire had already destroyed five houses. Paddy and other crops, furniture, utensils and all other household valuables worth lakhs were burnt to ashes.
Villagers have demanded that the administration provide adequate compensation, starting from daily food to aid for construction of houses, to the affected families.